Welcome to the town of Rathbone
Photos courtesy of Janie Ferguson
Please note: There was an error for the meeting notice in the Addison Post, there is NO public hearing on June 1, 2033, just the regular monthly meeting.
The Town of Rathbone is located in the Canisteo River Valley between Addison and Cameron. The town was formed from parts of three other pre-existing towns: Addison, Cameron, and Woodhull, March 28, 1856. The town was named after General Ransom Rathbone who settled in the town in 1842. A special election was held at the house of David A Fulmers, May 6, 1856 for the elections of town officers. The first officers of the town were William R. Rathbone, son of Ransom, Supervisor; George W Young, Town Clerk; Israel Horton, Stephen Gloyd, Justices of the Peace.
The town’s population as of the 2000 census was 1,080. The present day town is part of the Addison School District and is home to the Valley Elementary School. A few small businesses are located in the township including, Crawford’s Store and Heartwood Furniture Specialties. Rathbone is also the location of the Cameron/Cameron Mills Post Office.
Earliest settlers recorded finding clearings in the dense forests along the Canisteo River where Indians had previously cleared patches of forest and planted corn. First American settlements 1793 and 1795 by James Hadley and William Benham.
1804 first Inn established by Lemuel Benham
1806 first Saw Mill by Isaac Tracey
1816 first Grist Mill (flouring mill) by Isaac Tracey
2 blacksmith and wagon shops operating in town
Abner Chase a Pioneer Preacher traveled through Rathbone in 1812